Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sweep generator

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] sweep generator
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:14:30 +0200

Hi Dan,

given you want to sweep within one TX bandwidth (which is the complex sampling rate), something like the following flow graph fed into a USRP sink tuned to the right center frequency:
Sweeping FG

If you want your sweep to span more than the sampling rate, things get more complicated.

Basically, you'd have to retune. However, retuning the local oscillator used to mix up your baseband signal, no matter how it's done, is "slow" compared to a single sample interval. You will inevitably get some gaps or other irregularities.
The USRPs typically have two sampling rates that are relevant to the user: the sampling rate at which you feed in samples from your PC, and the master clock rate, which boils down to the rate at which the DAC/ADC runs at. Imagine the MCR being at least as large as the analog (blue) bandwidth $b_\text{analog}$ below:

bandwidths in digital tuning

Within the bandwidth defined by the MCR (and analog anti-imaging filters), you can tune very quickly – but for the B210, in the single channel case, it's 61.44 MHz and in the dual channel case 56 MHz, so you're not winning Gigahertzes of "fast tunable range". Bonus is that this digital offset tuning can be done with timed commands, i.e. you can send a message to the USRP sink block that tells the USRP to tune *exactly* at this and that sample time.
Unlike other devices, the B2xx can't currently tune the LO frequency $f_\text{RF}$ with a timed command.

Best regards,
Marcus