Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-drm reconfiguration & Channel simulations

From: Felix Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-drm reconfiguration & Channel simulations
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 17:59:39 +0100

Hi Ben,

I'm happy to hear that gr-drm is being used! I hope you are using the newest version, I did quite some refactoring some time ago.

On 11/04/2016 05:21 PM, Benny Alexandar wrote:

Hi,

I was able to use the gr-drm to transmit using USRP and receive it  on DRM receiver.  However when tried to change RM to mode A, it fails to transmit. I'm using  GNU Radio Companion 3.7.10.1.

Not every combination of RM and bandwidth is allowed in the specification.

I would like to experiment more on gr-drm, like DRM transmission reconfiguration.  DRM standard supports  two types of reconfiguration: a service reconfiguration and a channel reconfiguration. This can be applied on the fly with or without audio interruption. I guess gr-drm doesn't support these.

That's correct. Feel free to add features!

Can GNU Radio support on the fly changes to a block ?  How can a block be created to cycle through a set of values ? My aim is to automate the transmission by chnaging the parameters randomly.

You could try using/adding callbacks or message ports. This however might get messy and/or complicated when, e.g., the I/O behavior of a block has to be reconfigured. Another potential problem occurs if you reconfigure multiple blocks and issues arise through samples that are still stuck inbetween blocks. A simpler method would be to just restart the flowgraph and reconfigure them inbetween runs.

I also like to add some channel simulations, like AWGN and Rayleigh channels o DRM transmission in gr-drm. I checked in GNU radio some blocks exist for Channel models which can be plugged in before USRP sink block. Has any body done any channel simulations on DRM transmission ?

Not that I know of. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that people tested other, generic communication systems such as OFDM. Maybe they can chime in at this point if you have any specific questions.

-ben

Cheers
Felix
--