Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to use IQ Bal Optimize/Fix?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to use IQ Bal Optimize/Fix?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:24:13 -0500

On 01/31/2018 03:16 PM, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
Hi,

* You can just use 0.0 / 0.0 as the default. Those value are only
really used if you don't use the message system and just want a fixed
/ known manually set correction. Once the first message is received,
those value are overwritten

* As stated the time constant is in samples.

* The 'optimize' block only really works when you have some narrow
band signals distributed around the spectrums. It will fail
_miserably_ if you have a single wideband signal centered around DC

Cheers,

      Sylvain
Indeed, I find that if I use the osmocom IQ-balance code on radio astronomy "signals" that it produces horrible results in interferometry applications, as it never really "converges", and adds significant long-time-scale phase-noise, so I disable it.