Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:21:22 +0100 (BST)

    Jason> In attempting to build the latest CVS versions of GNUstep,
    Jason> I receive the following while building the gui libraries:

    Jason> NXConstantString does not recognize characterAtIndex:

Not sure why you get this problem as I hoped we had killed it forever
:-), but it is an ObjC compiler/runtime library problem ...

Are you using a shared libobjc ?  Or the libobjc shipped with the
compiler ?

Did you change compiler/libobjc - in which case did you
recompile/reconfigure everything from scracth ?

    Jason> Anyone know what might be causing this?  I'm running a
    Jason> fresh install of Red Hat 7.1 on a 1.4 GHz Athlon.

Ah - that might be the problem - I don't think RedHat 7.1 ships with
an official release of gcc, but rather with their own broken variant,
which I think they call 2.96.  You need to install a real (official
and working) gcc, either gcc 2.95.x or gcc 3.0.x, otherwise it won't
work.  After installing a working compiler, make distclean everywhere,
reconfigure, and rebuild.

Hope that helps at least a bit ...