Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Trouble building GNUstep CVS
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:23:12 +0100 (BST)

    Jason> At any rate, I tried using 3.0.1 and I'm still having the
    Jason> same problem. Don't know what to do.

Have you done a *total* make distclean everywhere in gnustep before
recompiling ?  gcc-3.0.1 should work.

Please check the output of ./configure when you run it in the base
library - at a certain point you should read something like

checking whether objc really works... yes
checking if the compiler supports -fconstant-string-class... yes

if it says

checking if the compiler supports -fconstant-string-class... no

then something is wrong, as gcc-3.0.1 *does* support
-fconstant-string-class, and with that option turned on, you can't get
NXConstantString errors, because the compiler is never generating
NXConstantString objects!

To fix that, try removing config.cache (or do a make distclean) and
run configure again.  If that doesn't help, make sure when you run gcc
you get the correct one ... `gcc --version' should return something
like 3.0.1.  If you still have this problem, please check the
config.log file to find out why the check for -fconstant-string-class
failed while it shouldn't have ...