Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Saibot
Subject: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:22:43 +0100

> Am Montag den, 11. März 2002, um 13:38, schrieb Saibot:
>
> > - Did any of you already try to use a gcc modified with the
> > apple patches to compile ObjC++ code that can run on
> > windows/linux.
>
> The Apple patched gcc's (2.95.2 an 3.1 experimental) on Darwin /
> OS X are the only compilers supporting ObjC++, AFAIK. You'd have
> to get rid of your C++ interface, e.g. by wrapping C++ into
> plain C, or to port NeXT runtime (the "objc4" module in Darwin)
> to Windows.

Making a C bridge will be extremely painful as we make very extensive use of
multiple inheritance and polymorphism, we already considered that but that's
a definite no...

The solution wuold be to use a windows/linux gcc containing the
modifications apple made. Like I said, I don't care if these changes are not
accepted in the main gcc as long as it generates code that works for
everyone.

> > - Does GnuStep work on windows (I saw some notes about it on
> > the website but couldn't figure out whether it actually works
> > or not, especially since there is an item mentioning "port GUI
> > to windows").
>
> Obviously, before a Cocoa / NeXT fan (e.g. like me) touches the
> keyboard of a Windows box, (s)he prefers to set up and use a
> cross compiling environment and test the stuff on Virtual PC.

Since the program is ObjC++, a cross compiling environment will be hard to
find. And why virtual PC when I have windows boxen right here?

> In theory, using XFree86 and xgps should work to get GNUstep
> with GUI on Windows running, but I'm neither aware of a success
> story nor of the opposite.
>
> For an experienced Windows programmer, it might be only a matter
> of a few weeks to get a basic native backend on Win running, ...

I'm going to check that this june, or sooner if I find time. Thanks for the
answers anyway.