Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:41:35 +0000

On Monday, March 11, 2002, at 03:22 PM, Saibot wrote:

Am Montag den, 11. März 2002, um 13:38, schrieb Saibot:

- Did any of you already try to use a gcc modified with the
apple patches to compile ObjC++ code that can run on
windows/linux.

The Apple patched gcc's (2.95.2 an 3.1 experimental) on Darwin /
OS X are the only compilers supporting ObjC++, AFAIK. You'd have
to get rid of your C++ interface, e.g. by wrapping C++ into
plain C, or to port NeXT runtime (the "objc4" module in Darwin)
to Windows.

Making a C bridge will be extremely painful as we make very extensive use of multiple inheritance and polymorphism, we already considered that but that's
a definite no...

The solution wuold be to use a windows/linux gcc containing the
modifications apple made. Like I said, I don't care if these changes are not
accepted in the main gcc as long as it generates code that works for
everyone.

Even so, lobbying the gcc mailing lists to have the ObjC++ changes merged into the main line is probably a good idea. I believe that is the intention anyway, but the more people who say they want it, the higher the priority is likely
to become (as long as you lobby politely of course).