Re: Interface Proposal: GUI design

From: Iain Hallam
Subject: Re: Interface Proposal: GUI design
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:23:20 +0000

Mondragon, Ian wrote:

        |X|#|H| window title          |

  I personally favor the OS X -style layout, myself, for several reasons:
        - all buttons are in the same general location

I use NeXT every day, and have used WindowMaker almost exclusively for years now, but I still think that having all button on one side is a Good Thing (TM).

This is one of the things I think Apple got wrong in their design for Aqua. It looks good, but having the close button so close to the others is, IMO, bad design. Things that can have nasty consequences should be less easily clicked on by mistake, which the "all buttons together" design falls down on. Admittedly, the red/yellow/green colouring looks good and indicates what's going to happen, but it really is bad practice to rely on colour for presenting information to the user. The symbols that appear on mouseover should be there all the while, I think.

In summary, I believe that the close gadget should be on its own on one side of the titlebar, while the other gadgets (i.e., those that do not have the effect of irreperably closing the window) should be grouped together on the opposite side. Pick a side that is convenient - I quite like the Amiga style:

  [X][ Window Title                 ][v][^][D]

Where
  X = Close
  v = Minimise window size
  ^ = Restore window size
  D = Depth gadget (you can put windows in front of others)

- Iain.