Re: Traditional Chinese partially supported

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Traditional Chinese partially supported
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:08:39 +0000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 09:17 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

  Fix more problems.
  Now GNUstep can be localized in Chinese.
  Here is a screenshot of localized Gomoku.
  http://www.people.virginia.edu/~yc2w/GNUstep/Chinese/Gomoku.gif.
  (This screenshot is taken from earlier work. The attached codes offer
better look).

  Yen-Ju

I applied a version of your fix for initialising a string from unicode data (NSString.m)
and the cString and cStringLength methods (GSString.m)

As far as I can see, the other part of your NSString.m patch is wrong though - I can't even see what it's trying to do, but its effect appears to be to terminate parsing
prematurely for some strings.

+   for (i = 1; count < length; i++)
+     if (_pld.ptr[i] > 255) // 2 byte character
+       count += 2;
+     else
+       count++;
+   _pld.end = i;

Perhaps some experimental code that got left in the patch by mistake?