Re: Building in a separate build directory

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Building in a separate build directory
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:18:07 +0100 (BST)

> > include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
> >
> > PACKAGE_NAME = HelloWorld
> > VERSION = 5.3
> >
> > SUBPROJECTS = Directory1 Directory2 Directory3 Directory4
> >
> > include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/aggregate.make
>
> Not directly related to the current topic, but how about losing the mandatory
> BUNDLE_INSTALL_DIR for bundles? I have some bundles that aren't supposed to be
> installed (they go into an app's Resources), but -make doesn't want to cope
> with that.

I'd like this case (bundles of an application) to be automatically managed
by gnustep-make ... but it's not yet implemented and I think yours is a
*very* good suggestion (providing a way to disable the standard
installation) anyway - thanks! :-)

So I added to CVS a way to totally disable the standard installation of a
certain instance - by adding

 xxx_STANDARD_INSTALL = no

to your GNUmakefile (in the preamble), the default rules for
installing/uninstalling xxx will not be executed (no matter what xxx is
... it works for applications, bundles, tools, everything).

You can either not install/uninstall at all (as in your case I think), or
if you want, provide your own installation/uninstallation rules ... by
putting them in the before-xxx-install:: target (which is still executed
even if xxx_STANDARD_INSTALL is no).

I hope that helps with your problem. :-)