Re: How ot build in separate directory

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: How ot build in separate directory
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:57:06 +0200

Some side notes ;-):

Nicola Pero wrote:
To build RPM package, the procedure is as follows -

 - start with a clean system

You can do at least two things to make this easier
a) a change-root environment
b) a separate install-root with an own RPM database

Eg SuSE build each package in a freshly boostrapped chroot environment, therefore they are more or less guranteed to have proper dependencies.

For our pkgs we use b). We create a separate GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT, patch GNUstep.sh using sed to the location and build in there. After all GNUstep has some kind of "chroot" built-in :-)

Greetings
  Helge

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-make (that will install it into
something like /var/tmp/gnustep-make, then build the package from what was
installed there)

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-make (that will install it into the
final location)

 - source GNUstep.sh

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-base (that will install it into
something like /var/tmp/gnustep-base, then build the package from what was
installed there)

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-base (that will install it into the
final location)

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-gui

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-gui

 - etc
I'm not sure how your packages work, but I think it's very likely that you
will need a similar setup -
 - start with a clean system

 - build the gnustep-make package

 - install it

 - source GNUstep.sh

 - build the gnustep-base package

 - install it

 - build the gnustep-gui package

 - install it

 - build the gnustep-back package

 - install it

 - etc etc etc

Hope that helps.

i'm making packages for my own package manager, if it wasnt for that i'm sure i would be set.

anyhow, i'm just gonna install it to it's "normal" spot then copy the pieces over to build the packages. Its ugly but it'll work!

Thanks!

Chad