Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:44:22 -0400

Ian Jones wrote:

wanted to change, I notice this has been re-introduced, but now every 2 or 3 times I open the Preferences.app my object / key values are gone from NSGlobalDomain{}. I thought it was something I had done incorrectly

I figured I'd jump in here. I haven't had the time to look for what's causing the problem, but more often than not, my entire defaults are wiped out by something (I'm assuming it's an application, but I'm not sure which one).

This forces me to inquire as to why all defaults are kept in one file? Apparently, this is historic behaviour, but if an application has the ability to completely wipe my defaults, that's not good.

Would it not be a better idea to implement defaults such that each application gets it's own file within the defaults directory in the Users domain? This would potentially prevent one errant application from destroying all the defaults from every other application.

Also, I don't know if this magic defaults destruction is a GNUstep issue, or an application issue. But, either way, would it not be beneficial if GNUstep didn't permit the NSGlobalDomain or any other associated "system" defaults to be touched by applications?

Just a thought. I'm sure, as per my history with this mailing list, this will cause a massive flame war. ;)

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org