Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 05:20:15 -0400

Sir Raorn wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 04:00:14AM -0400, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> > That said, separate files make it more difficult for bad
> > things to happen.  Separate files also make it more
> > difficult for good things to happen correctly. The question
> > is, is the benefit greater than the danger?
>
> Well, look at WindowMaker - it keeps defauils in
> ~/GNUstep/Defaults/<Domain>

Actually, it (libWINGs/libWUtil) keeps defaults in
$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT/Defaults/[appname], which for me is ~/Defaults. But I
know what you mean.

> And what "good things" do you mean?

Specifically, updating the in-memory representation of defaults when the
file gets updated. This is necessary for correct operation of the global
domain (as well as other shared domains). If this doesn't happen (or
doesn't happen correctly), defaults not only get out of sync, but you can
lose data.