Re: NSSound and gsnd

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: NSSound and gsnd
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:27:44 -0700

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:24:17 +0300 (EEST)
Enrico Sersale <enrico@www.imago.ro> wrote:
[...]
> If you want to see an example of sound class that plays from a stream,
> take a look at the MusicKit. I think that it does exactly wath you want.
[...]

As far as I remember, Nextstep had a SoundKit included. Wouldn't it make
sense to have something similar, maybe even the MusicKit, to prevent people
from using all kinds of different libraries? I've noticed several (well, ok,
just two) applications for GNUstep already, one using libvorbis, the other
SDL_sound, accessing those directly.

If GNUstep had a predefined "API" for sound, you could specify the lib you
want or need to use during installation of "sound kit". Developers would
only have to stick to that API, and users wouldn't have to worry about
installing different sound-libs for each application.

Just a thought,

--
Chris