Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 12:25:17 +0000

> At the moment am on 4.3 :(
> A friend just mailed me 5.0 DP2, advised me to move on to that or better
> would be Darwin, but support on Darwin for x86

Err, I wouldnt go to 5.0 just yet unless you want to spend a lot of time
helping fix bugs. Iid wat for the release if I were you. Unless you
actually have a multiprocessor system it isnt going to buy you a lot.

> Do you anticipate any problems?

With 5.0 ? Lots of them - why are you thinking of changing ?

> So which FreeBSD supports GNUStep absolutely well?

I use FreeBSD 4.7 (STABLE) and that works great. I've used GNUstep on
many of the 4.X series and it always works fine.

> BTW, check the notes in the FreeBSD 4.x section, there are ways to use
> gcc4.x

I've tried gcc30, 31, 32 and 33 - all have certain problems with them.
In the end ther best (most stable) way to go is to do this:

1) get GNUstep from  CVS
2) Install gnustep-make
3) Install /usr/ports/lang/gnustep-objc
4) Re-install gnustep-make - now it will use the new libobjc
5) Install the rest of GNUstep

You will need to configure the GUI specifying the tiff library directly
bu the way...

This gives a pretty stable GNUstep system. I;veonly had big problems when
trying to move to compiling with the GCC3 compilers...

-bat.