Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??

From: Mayuresh Kathe
Subject: Re: GNUStep for FreeBSD 5.0 DP2??
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 09:06:30 +0530 (IST)

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

> I've been using GNUstep on FBSD since 3.5. The only _problem_ seems to
> be with OpenSSL.

OpenSSL!!
What kind of problems?

> An easier way that works, is to edit /etc/make.conf (which may not exist
> be default) and add an entry

I'll do that...  :)

>       WANT_THREADS_SUPPORT=YES
>
> Then install /usr/ports/lang/gcc3x

But, with FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 won't gcc3x already be there?
(Haven't yet got down to installing it yet)

> If you installed tiff from /usr/ports/graphics/tiff GNUstep _will_
> automatically find the libs.

Hmnn, I need to hurry up and get 5.0 installed before I shoot off any more
questions ;)

> As said above, the only problem with GNUstep on FBSD is in -base when
> you do NOT disable OpenSSL (configure --disable-openssl).
> NSURL will be broken if you use the default OpenSSL installation. I'm
> not sure about installing the one in /usr/ports/security/openssl.

I *need* OpenSSL for a couple of other apps (eg, w3m).
Can an upgrade to OpenSSL do the trick?
Could you please tell me which version of OpenSSL works well?

> The only problem with gcc (version < 3.3) is a rare internal error when
> using protocols, as mentioned in another mail.
> gcc33 seems to work fine (so far ;-).

:)
I guess those might get solved with 5.0 or else I'll upgrade GCC 3.3

~Mayuresh