Toolbars (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Toolbars (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:48:58 +0100

On 2003-01-22 19:28:08 +0100 Tobias <ibotty@web.de> wrote:

(snipped)

For an application where a Mac or Windows developer would use a toolbar, a
NeXT developer would use one or more floating panels for most efficient
use of screen space. That's why panels order our when their app becomes
inactive -- to avoid unnecessary clutter. The NeXT GUI is designed to use
a big screen efficiently: the bigger the screen, the more useful it is.
i got your point. i didn't thought about it.
but we could nevertheless implement this api... better than apple did.
as pointed before, we could offer a way to and let the user decide, whether he
wants these toolbars as seperate floating panels

I like the idea of floating panels. This can save screen space if we had only
single toolbar panel/window for the whole application. The toolbar should be
'window sensitive' and should change its contents depending on the key window.
Another option for the toolbar should be, if it shuold be visible or not when
application is hidden. IMHO, implementation of such toolbar-panel should be
easier than implementing toolbars that are part of a window.

Stefan