Re: Toolbars (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Toolbars (Was: Re: Unimplemented AppKit classes)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:21:26 +0100

On 2003-01-22 19:28:08 +0100 Tobias <ibotty@web.de> wrote:

(snipped)

For an application where a Mac or Windows developer would use a
toolbar, a NeXT developer would use one or more floating panels for
most efficient use of screen space. That's why panels order our when
their app becomes inactive -- to avoid unnecessary clutter. The NeXT
GUI is designed to use a big screen efficiently: the bigger the
screen, the more useful it is.
i got your point. i didn't thought about it.
but we could nevertheless implement this api... better than apple did.
as pointed before, we could offer a way to and let the user decide,
whether he wants these toolbars as seperate floating panels

I like the idea of floating panels. This can save screen space if we had
only single toolbar panel/window for the whole application. The toolbar
should be 'window sensitive' and should change its contents depending on
the key window. Another option for the toolbar should be, if it shuold
be visible or not when application is hidden. IMHO, implementation of
such toolbar-panel should be easier than implementing toolbars that are
part of a window.

It is easier -- you make a panel, set some settings, and add some stateful
buttons. Voila, you have a palette.

On the other hand, an Office-style "Toolbar" (which is pretty-much exactly
what NSToolbar implements) is one of those things that is added to a
program to cover up for a number of fundamental stupidities.

No, it's per window (and so per context: the browser window in for instance chimera has a different toolbar than its download window) and not one toolbar for one application.

If it would be one toolbar per application I would opt for an palette too, but if this palette has to change depending which window is frontmost I would not like this solution. How would one know for which window the palette is currently acting? A changing palette, that is confusing!

It's a
symptom of brain damage, not a feature of note.  And worse, they're
configurable --

That's a good thing! You keep only the commands/actions you actually need and you can place them in that order you prefer.

 so you can't rely on muscle memory to find the button,
because somebody else might have moved it or you might not be on your
computer.

Uhmm, we talk here about Unix don't we? Everybody has its own login and settings. If you forget to logout and somebody changes your settings that your fault. And if you are not on your computer you either have netboot which allows you to have your environment across the whole company or whatever or the computer is configured that differently that "muscle memory won't help you either.

You have to recognize the functions on the toolbar by image, not
location. Apple had these same arguments when it wasn't their
implementation being argued about...the wheel turns, does it not?

No you have the option to view an Icon (big or small), a Text or both. I use usually the only text option, but that is only because I don't like the Icons of some apps (including Finder).

You can also hide the toolbar if you don't like it at all (oval button on the right side of the window title toggles this)

Getting right down to it: Apple needs toolbars because they broke their
menus and eliminated the normal "right-press menu"

most apps I know of also feature a context sensitive menu which you get by ctrl-click or you just use your right mouse button for this (if you got any two buttons USB mouse, most of them work out of the box)

that makes toolbars a
completely superfluous distraction. In this manner, the app menu is like a
complete toolbox that is always directly beneath the mouse pointer -- so
it doesn't need the precision mousing necessary to reach a button that's
way off in some random part of the window (or outside it). And what's
more, commonly-used menu entries have command-key alternatives, and you
can add your own keyboard alternatives for commands (although I don't see any way to specify that an alternative is triggered with the Alternate key
instead of, or combined with, the Command key at this time).

"We can't be bothered to actually work on our menu system or to make our
program operate intelligently, so we'll force you to design your own
button-based interface."

calm down.

conclusion:

I like to have the option (via toggle button) to have a toolbar on the top of my windows. It gives me an idea what I can do within that window at a glance. Desktop space is no issue because even here on my 1024x768 powerbook it is spacy enough (who has a computer with a smaller screen nowadays?).

having options is "a good thing (tm)"

greetings, Lars