Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.5.2 & GWRemote 0.1

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE GWorkspace 0.5.2 & GWRemote 0.1
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:23:01 +0300

On 2003-06-10 15:19:29 +0300 Tobias <ibotty@web.de> wrote:

GWremote is a DO based application that let you browse the file system of a
remote host where the gwsd tool is running. You can also copy, move,
delete, link, duplicate files, on the remote host and edit little text
files, too.

what do you think about not using a special gwds tool (which is a pain for
every admin, security-wise), but a fish approach.
using ssh + perl on the other side, would give you more possibilities + you
would have ssh-security.
(i guess this is better implemented as an io-slave (to speak kde), but i guess
it should be possible)

Well, this is true, but our admin let only a subclass of our class, that is,
the addresses of the routers and those of ours calculators, use gdomap.
Anyway, ssh would be a much better solution for the security, but I've used DO
because I like to learn new things, when I write something ;-)  In this case
I've learned to use threads... For example:
The first GWSd instance, created in main(), initializes some global variables
and then creates a named NSConnection. Each remote host uses this connection to
log in.
At this point, a new thread is detached and a new GWSd instance created. This
new instance creates a new not named connection that substitutes the named one.
This object is immediately released because it is retained on the other size,
by GWRemote. So, when the client exits or logs out, the GWSd object is released
and its thread exits.
Nothing exceptional, but I've learned something new...

This is a provvisional solution, beacause I use
NSUserName() for the user name but I don't know a not Linux-specific way to
read the user password (suggestions are wellcome).

what about kerberos. it comes enabled by default in freebsd 5 (at least it is
very easy to do so) and win 2000ff  and is platform neutral. additionally you
are able to centralize authentication, which is a Good Thing (tm).

This seems a good idea. I'll try to implement this in 0.2.

Ciao,
Enrico