Re: GWorskpace (un)usability

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GWorskpace (un)usability
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hey,

--- Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> On 2003-06-14 17:35:44 +0000 Stefan Urbanek <urbanek@host.sk> wrote:
<.....snippage.....>

> > ah, ok. my second apology, the word unusable was not appropriate. it is
> unusable for me. as i said, gw is a piece of software that we need and you
> have put of your work in it. And I fully agree that such application should
> become a part of GNUstep project. It is part of the gnustep environment
> anyway (NSWorkspace class).
>
> Well then we have another (small) problem : the definition of GNUstep. Is it
> a programming framework or a Desktop ?
> I would stick with a programming framework. A Desktop based on GNUstep
> should be another project. Some "desktop" applications already exists and
> it's perhaps about time to create such a project. What do you think ?

My feeling here is that, while GWorkspace should be part of gnustep, it
shouldn't be the only possible Workspace application.  NSWorkspace should use a
variable, such as GSWorkspaceApplication or something to determine which
application to contact when it is necessary to do so.   The default value
should be GWorkspace, but should be changable to something else, should the
user decide to do so.

Honestly, I really like GWorkspace and I do use it as my default desktop file
manager.  If I ever want to switch (unlikely), I would appreciate the ability
to do so.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
Petition to make Lighthouse Application Suite Free Software at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/laafs/petition.html
--- Main Developer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) ---