Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:16:31 -0700

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:50:26 +0300
Christopher Culver <crculver@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 2003-06-12 15:53:28 +0300 Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
> > We could need a light-weigth browser, with a nice interface.
> I think the best thing for that would be to:
> * Get the GCC team to finally include support for Obj-C++. Does it
> even plan to? I mean, Apple's already done the work, the GCC team
> just needs to review the patches.

*blargh* not again...

Ok, that's just my personal opinion, but...
The whole idea of Objective-C++ is brain-damaged. It's a marriage of a
perfectly fine OOL (Objective-C) with a bastard mutation (C++).

Of course, since Apple and (unfortunately) others (though it's beyond me
why in hell you want to fuck up Objective-C with a abomination like C++)
use it, we (or rather, the GCC team) will probably have to go along
eventually.

> * Use the independent Gecko renderer that the Mozilla team is
> supposed to release soon.
> By using Mozilla's renderer, a GS browser can already be expected to
> have a relatively high level of quality from the start. But I'm not
> sure if the Obj-C++ thing will ever become a reality.

Gecko may be fast, but frankly, it sucks. Apart from that, you should
already be able to use Gecko, since it's written in C++, not in ObjC++,
so all you need would be a wrapper around it.

The only reason I can think of having ObjC++ would be so that we
(GNUstep) can use WebCore (which IS written in it) especially since it
is a better (as in "closer to W3C recommended standards") engine than
Gecko.

Then again, the need for yet another web browser (even if it would be
cool to have one that is based on GNUstep) is less urgent than a stable
foundation...

--
Chris