Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt??

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt??
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:47:22 +0200

Chris B. Vetter writes:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:10:13 +0200
> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
> > Chris B. Vetter writes:
> > > For example in my case, I usually only have time (and the will) to
> > > do some private programming over the weekend, at home where I
> > > (voluntarily) do not have Internet access.
> > Don't be silly!
>
> Huh?
> If that refers to me not having Internet at home, that is indeed so.
>
> There are people who try to have some semblance of a private life
> during weekends, you know ;-)

But you program on the week end...
Refusing the Internet at home is like refusing to have a library at home.

> Oh, yea, I don't have a TV either...

A good thing.

> > > So online documentation is pretty much useless from my point of
> > > view.
> > wget
>
> And what good exactly will running 'wget' be if
> a) I don't have Internet available
- go to a cybercafe or ask permission to use the resources of your employer,
- get the OpenStep Specifications
- get the docs from GNUstep
- get the docs from Apple Computer Inc
  wget --mirror --convert-links --no--parent
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/Reference/ObjC_classic/FoundationTOC.html
  wget --mirror --convert-links --no--parent
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/Reference/ObjC_classic/ApplicationKitTOC.html
  (that's the URL I used a long time ago, they may have changed since, just
browse their web site)
- burn a CD with all this documentation and bring it home for the week ends.

> b) GNUstep (Foundation and AppKit) specific documentatin shows a short
>    "Description forthcoming."
>    Besides, I do install the documentation along with GNUstep, so I do
>    have it available. But most of the methods are not documented (except
>    for the phrase above) so I usually end up digging through the header
>    and source files.

The first source of information should be the OpenStep Specifications.

Then, some tutorials on Apple's web.

Then, most of the time the differences are small enough that using the
docs from Apple works.

But in any case, the header  and the sources are always the most exact
source of information.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.