Back to the main thread (was: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GT

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Back to the main thread (was: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt?? )
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:59:29 -0700

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:47:22 +0200
Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
[...]
> But you program on the week end...
> Refusing the Internet at home is like refusing to have a library at
> home.

Now you're kidding, right?

> > Oh, yea, I don't have a TV either...
> A good thing.

*nod*

> > And what good exactly will running 'wget' be if
> > a) I don't have Internet available
> - go to a cybercafe or ask permission to use the resources of your
>   employer,

Well, there's a reason I don't have Internet at home -- I spend enough
time around computer's in my job, usually 12+ hours a day. If I have
access, I'll spend even more time when I get home and on weekends...

> - get the OpenStep Specifications

Have'em

> - get the docs from GNUstep

Have'em, though they are useless in their current state. Note, that I'm
referring to the Foundation and AppKit docu, not tutorials.

> - get the docs from Apple Computer Inc

Have'em, that is, those that are relevant to me

[...]
> The first source of information should be the OpenStep Specifications.

Yes, but in some instances, GNUstep deviates from OpenStep...

> But in any case, the header and the sources are always the most exact
> source of information.

I noticed and that is exactly my point.

*I* know how to get to the information I need. Users, new to GNUstep,
and that's what we were talking about, may not.
If you are new and genuinely interested in programming for GNUstep,
 a) you may not know where to get additional docs (Apple, OpenStep) from
 b) "Description forthcoming" is frustrating

So, eventually you'll give up and turn to something else.
"Use the source, Luke" isn't appealing to everyone.

--
Chris