Back to the main thread (was: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GT

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Back to the main thread (was: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt?? )
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 03:44:13 +0200

Chris B. Vetter writes:
> I noticed and that is exactly my point.
>
> *I* know how to get to the information I need. Users, new to GNUstep,
> and that's what we were talking about, may not.
> If you are new and genuinely interested in programming for GNUstep,
>  a) you may not know where to get additional docs (Apple, OpenStep) from
>  b) "Description forthcoming" is frustrating
>
> So, eventually you'll give up and turn to something else.
> "Use the source, Luke" isn't appealing to everyone.

All  these sources of  information are  refered to  on www.gnustep.org
(I'm pretty sure).

The point is  that GNUstep is an implementation  of some standard, the
documents of which are copyrighted  by another entity than the FSF. So
we cannot distribute them along with any GNUstep distribution.

It's  the   same  with  any  Single  Unix   System  complient  system:
programmers  have  to  go  to http://www.opengroup.org/  to  read  the
specifications. (Well,  ok, there is  some documentation of  the local
implementation, but if  you refer to it, you run  the risk of writting
code dependent on the current system).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.