Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: porting to GNUstep from OSX
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:00:20 +0200

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 2:12 AM, Bill Northcott wrote:

I don't know how the header problem could be solved elegantly besides
using autoconf, but that wouldn't be acceptable on OSX anyways - it
just doesn't fit into the picture using PBX (or Xcode).

Have a look at what Aqua tcl/tk do. They use PB builds with a script step
that runs the configure script to set up the headers.  This code was
largely done by Jim Ingham who is on Apple's payroll.

Yes, right, but that's a Unix package converted to OS X. Such action doesn't make sense for a native package, though. And, added to that, it doesn't work well with PBX (also Xcode) from the UI. Because OS X (Jaguar, Panther, etc.) is (mostly) a well defined environment it doesn't make sense to use autoconf - autoconf was designed to be able to produce working results of packages in (probably) unknown environments.

As for Xcode, I have no idea, but I can't see tham breaking this
mechanism.

Well, Xcode basically is PBX (with a slightly different UI), so no need to worry here. But, as stated above, you really wouldn't use autoconf for a native package on OS X. Apple provides its own mechanisms to deal with platform inconsistencies (i.e. in transition from Jaguar to Panther where behaviour changes slightly, Apple provides runtime checks etc.).

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com