Re: Where Is 'GSConfig.h'?

From: Philip Mötteli
Subject: Re: Where Is 'GSConfig.h'?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:42:47 +0200

Hi René

On 2003-09-08 16:45:48 -0500 Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
Am Montag, 08.09.03, um 18:40 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb René Berber:
[snip]
checking whether objc really works... no
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries! Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.

Looking at the config.log file would be a more direct approach, just scan the file to see what was the problem reported by gcc while compiling the test that configure uses; the parameters used with gcc are usually the problem if gcc is installed correctly.

Here's the main problem:

configure:6426: checking whether objc really works
configure:6448: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -fgnu-runtime -I/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu -x objective-c -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/powerpc/darwin6.6/gnu-gnu-gnu -L/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/powerpc/darwin6.6 conftest.c -lobjc >&5
./config/config.objc.m:3: header file 'objc/NXConstStr.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
configure:6451: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 6442 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include "./config/config.objc.m"
configure:6475: result: no
configure:6483: error: The Objective-C compiler doesn't work or is not installed properly.

There are some other corresponding ones, but I hope, that once I know how to correct this one, I will be able to do the other ones too. I see, that everywhere, there are the wrong paths. Where are those paths given to configure?

Do you have more than one gcc installed?

Well, every Mac OS 10.2 has gcc version 2.x and 3.1 installed.

And one is named cc and the other gcc?

Not exactly:

cc -> gcc3
lgcc -> gcc3
gcc-3.3
gcc2
gcc3

gcc-3.3 is only installed, because I had once installed the newest compiler update from Apple and have reversed, because it just didn't work for me (debugger problems). So this gcc-3.3 is just hanging around. There's a little script, which name I have forgotten, which lets one choose between gcc2 and gcc3. I've chosen gcc3:

% gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)

Thanks!
Phil