Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Debian and SimplyGNUstep
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:57:46 -0700

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:46:53 -0700
"Vaisburd, Haim" <HVaisbur@Advent.COM> wrote:
> From: Chris B. Vetter <chrisv@web4inc.com>
> > By default, GNUstep installs into /usr/GNUstep. See
> > -core/compile-all.
> Sorry for misinformation. I consistently get it in /opt
> even for clean installs. Does that mean that configure
> reads GNUSTEP... environment variables?

Well, the configure script in -make seems to have /usr/local/ as default
prefix, while the toplevel compile-all script uses /usr.

Personally, I install directly into /

> > I'm aware you're talking Linux here, but let me just add that not
> > every(other) OS does have /opt...
> But Eric was talking about Debian, which is, I presume, Linux... ;-))

That's why I said, I'm aware of that ;-)

> /opt seems to me like a good place for "packages" like GNUstep, kde,
> qt etc. that have their own directory layout. If there are reasons for
> not having or not using /opt, I would like to learn them.

However, you might want to consider that there may be systems out there,
that can use Debian packages that do not have /opt.
Eg. you can install Linux binary packages in RPM format on FreeBSD
using the compatibility layer....

--
Chris