Re: Roadmap: and now the positive side

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Roadmap: and now the positive side
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:46:50 -0700

First of all, I certainly meant and mean no disrespect to Adam or any
other member of the 'core team'...

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:55:11 +0200
Dennis Leeuw <dleeuw@made-it.com> wrote:
[...]
> Let's turn this thread into something positive can we?
> Let's ask Adam and his team of core developers what they think should
> be the future of the project.
[...]

That was my intention for asking Adam in the first place (though not
another bashing and flame war -- which I, honestly, think is in part a
result of a missing 'roadmap' that clearly outlines where GNUstep is
going ...)

If the "project leader" (Note: I use quotes here as I've seen Adam state
that he doesn't see himself as the project leader, but I think, in fact,
he his) has no, shall we say "vision", of where GNUstep will be in say 2
years from now -- and he says so in public (well, on this list) -- does
not really shed a positive light on the overall project that GNUstep is.

The effect is that GNUstep will "drift along" -- Bugs will be fixed,
this or that class may be added, but it doesn't go _forward_ instead, it
will stagnate and ultimately WILL become obsolete, which personally I
think would be a shame and a big loss.

Thus, to me, Adam's statement, that he doesn't care, is a frightening
notion, given the position he represents.

Again, no disrespect to Adam and his team, and I apologize if my initial
mail came across like an accusation, but it makes me wonder why we
should even bother to continue to work for/at/with GNUstep as
developers -- or have high hopes for GNUstep as users...

--
Chris