Re: ImageApps - image tools for GNUstep

From: Tima Vaisburd
Subject: Re: ImageApps - image tools for GNUstep
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:46:49 -0800

On Sunday 23 November 2003 07:09, Stefan Kleine Stegemann wrote:
> we want to inform everybody who is interested about the GNUstep
> ImageApps project.

I continue to work on PhotoClip application that is designed to be a simple
image editor. Something like an editing module of iPhoto.

Right now I'm unable to (easily) save a rectangle from an existing image into
another image file, and without that feature the application remains a demo
toy. I wanted to wait with next release until this is done but now I think I
might release the current stage that does rotation, rectangle selection and
display the result of cropping.

Feel free to use the code and, more importantly, the ideas, if you find them
worthy.

> We appriciate any comments and suggestions.

I have a different vision of the overall architecture. I think it's best
to have just one application to sort things into folders, and this is
file manager. A good file manager with large icons preview
will do the job of Preview and Image Manager.

KDE is already doing that, if we want to build upon the Workspace -
fine, then it needs to be flexible enough to allow for preview and for some
metadata display (e.g. size for images, duration for music clips etc.)

What remains is a good editor to launch when the user clicks on this
preview icon :)

> now renamed to ViewPDF to reflect the move
> away from displaying anything to focus on PDF's only - but
> this as best as possible :-)

For that matter I think it's a very good move in right direction.

> Camera:

Same thoughts here. After plug-in the camera appears as a mounted file system
full of files. You see them as icons and copy them as files. Again, this
already works in KDE and I quite like it.

That being said, I would like to encourage your effort even if you disagree
:-) Now every gnustep application is Next step forward ;-)

> GOOD:
> A library/application for (modern) diagramming.

That's cool.

Cheers,
Tima.