Re: XML idea

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:30:22 +0100

On 06.01.2004, at 12:27, Pete French wrote:
This is one area where we need to start trying to unify things with OSX I
feel. Currently you need to use a different parsing approach on each
plaform. At least we now have a "standard" in the form of NSXMLParser that we can start trying to code towards. Could either of those kits be used as
a basis for an implementation of that ?

OpenGroupware.org also has some (LGPL) XML libraries and uses the "native" parsers on the platform:
  http://www.opengroupware.org/en/devs/sope/skyrix_xml/

This includes
a) a compatibility category so that you can use SaxObjC handlers also as
   NSXMLParser delegates without writing duplicate code
b) an CoreFoundation XML SAX driver
c) doesn't require any other OGo libraries (skyrix-xml is self-contained and
   has no dependencies to other libs but Foundation and the XML parsers
   themselves)

NSXMLParser has various issues, eg the API cannot properly do XML namespace processing (no namespace support for attributes) which makes it unusable for almost any current XML application.

I considered adding an NSXMLParser SAX driver for demonstration purposes, but I guess this isn't worth the effort.

Greets,
  Helge
--
I'm describing in a paragraph what took 14 hours to figure out. You may want to sniff glue for a while, then reread this when you get out of rehab. [aLa]