Re: XML idea

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: XML idea
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:12:25 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Pete French wrote:

> > No, it doesn't.
>
> Now that response surprises me as I though that any Apple additions
> which didnt conflict with the basic OpenStep spec were good for addition.
With the explicit statement that  this is not the case when Apple's
implementation sucks.  Many believe NSXMLParse is kinda not so
great...and I have to at least agree that whoever thought it out wasnt
thinking straight...This is the kind of wrapper that should go into my
PortabilityKit. PortabilityKit does not make assumptions about good/bad
API designs, it just implements missing classes between GNUstep and Cocoa,
and it doesnt discriminate. If someone wants to write a wrapper for it,
i'd be glad to integrate it.

> > > If they aren't good, we shouldn't add them. A good, standalone XML
> > framework is much better than a bad, minimalistic implementation in
> > -base.
>
> Except for portability reasons (which I know doesnt matter to  a lot
> of people, but to others it is vital).
This is what PortabilityKit is for. The objective is to get people to
contribute wrappers or implementations of classes and methods which Apple
has introduced but are not in GNUstep proper. This should alleviate some
political problems. PortabilityKit will be released under the LGPL.

> > depend on -base being configured a certain way isn't nice.
Agreed

> Now there I agree with you. It shouldnt really require yet more libraries
> to be present. How about a standalone implementation though ?
Sounds good, but an XML parser is a lot of overhead.