Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:37:31 -0800

On 2004-01-13 07:55:00 -0500 Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:
NSToolBar isn't something you can "just not use"; it changes the stuff
that's already there,

Stick it in the PortabilityKit.  Case closed.

I agree completely. The problems arise because some people believe that it should be a part of GNUstep *PROPER*. I personally don't see why that's strictly necessary. The "reasons" I've seen so far haven't been very good ones, and are neither here nor there. I'd like it to be, but I personally don't care and would rather settle the issue instead of debating it into the ground.

and even if you disregard the changes to NSWindow's
APIs it's pretty disgusting from a *step-ish point of view.

Fine. But I've been heavily promoting GNUstep far and wide. People are interested but are primarily interested in the ability to write software for both OS X and other platforms. These are Apple programmers who like to use the toolbar, sheets, and drawers. When something is poorly designed, they should have better options (ie. we should come up with better designs and publish them separately as an OS X and GNUstep framework). But they should also have the ability to take their already existing code and build it with GNUstep, whether it's disgusting or not.

This is what PortabilityKit is for. The problem with most Mac programmers is that they don't buy into the spirit of sharing that is embodied in (L)GPL communities. Their personal unwillingness to contribute classes, for instance, makes them immediately discount anything that doesn't do exactly what they need it to. This is where a lot of the elitism and scoffing comes from when trying to sell people on GNUstep. I've even run into it on PortabilityKit. Asses who say "hey, who says I want to run my app on other UNIX platforms" don't make me want to help them. (And for the record, yes, I've ACTUALLY had several people say that to me, in those exact words)

NSToolbar should be in PortabilityKit because PK is value-neutral by design and GNUstep is not. GNUstep should not have to be value-neutral, either. That's the bottom line. I think there's enough dissention to warrant my position, but I'm sure others will disagree.

--
Alex Perez
aperez@student.santarosa.edu