Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Coc

From: Jason Clouse
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability betweenGNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:32:12 -0500

On 2004-01-14 09:21:03 -0500 Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:
Remember OS/2? Even though lots of people used it, even though IBM created a very good Win16 (and later a Win32) portability library, vendors generally didn't port their Windows software. There were a few ports, but not nearly
enough.

It was proprietary, profit-driven software; GNUstep is not. If GNUstep followed the profit-driven model, it would have been dead *years ago*. The venture capital would have dried up.

How many vendors have ported their Windows software to Linux? At last count, one, even though there exists a mostly-complete Win32 API (libwine) for Linux/BSD on x86...one which can even use DLLs. MFC even works, and there is
ONE vendor.

That's totally irrelevant to our case.  All we need to know is this:

1. There are people interested in porting their stuff to GNUstep. No, not millions of them. But there are some. I've talked to them.

2. Those people are important.

Lessee, what else is there...oh yeah, how about the fact that GNUstep can never possibly implement the functionality that Mac OS X developers expect?

So we shouldn't try to do ANY of it? Remember, the goal is to make it easier than it is now, not perfect. And just to make sure we don't get to an argument that's unnecessary, let me remind you of the PortabilityKit.

Further, their new stuff
is nearly all patented out the wazoo, so even if people WANTED to do it,
they couldn't.

There are ways around this: off-shore hosting and proxy release.

To sum up, the PortabilityKit allays your fears. I think you're wrong about portability being a goal but it doesn't much matter since there will be another project to provide a solution. I think we've beat this horse to death now. C'est finis.