Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Co

From: Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: NSToolbar (was Re: Portability/Compatability between GNUstep<---> Cocoa...)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:53:34 +0100

In article <mailman.538.1074010374.928.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Jeff Teunissen <deek@d2dc.net> wrote:

> NSToolBar effectively means GNUstep _has_ to draw its own window
> decorations, otherwise there's no way to turn the bloody thing off.

Couldn't you have something like Netscape Navigator had for its toolbar?
They had a little thin area at the left with "grippy" dots on it, and
when you clicked that, the entire toolbar folded up into a thin line of
grippy dots along the top. Click that line and it would fold out again.

You could also just support a default "collapse/uncollapse toolbar" menu
item in the "Windows" menu. I mean, you need separate menus for MacOS
and GNUstep anyway (at least in Renaissance), so I don't see how that
one more item for those that use a toolbar would be a problem.

You don't have to 100% stick to Apple's lead here. I'm sure you could
easily devise another mechanism. And since font spacing and dimensions
differ between platforms, programmers can't rely on the toolbar being a
certain height or width anyway (okay, they can expect it to be large
enough to hold 32x32 icons and text, but that's it), if they want their
apps to look decent on GNUstep *and* OS X.

Bye,
-- Uli
"Where oh where has my server gone..."