Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Re: ANN: GWorkspace 0.6.5
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:30:27 +0200

Enrico Sersale writes:
> On 2004-06-06 21:10:32 +0300 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> > It works well... But why did you split GWorkspace in so many
> > applications ?
> The main split is GWorkspace <-> Desktop. But, doing this, I've had
> to split also Inspector and Operation because they are used by both
> the two "main" apps.
> Finder is an other thing: it is all new code and it has been easier
> for me to think it as a unit. And I take the occasion to explain an
> other cause that is behind this split: GWorkspace is four years old
> and, even if it works very well, some parts have been written when I
> was new to Objective-C and -gui was a disaster. So, I want to
> rewrite about all; and I think that you know that, in many cases, to
> rewrite is easier than to try to patch ugly code...
> To do this withouth breaking anything, I've choosen to work
> rewriting little elements.
> Probably, at the end of this task, some parts will become again a
> single app.

Or perhaps not. An advantage of having separate applications is that
it may be easier to change one module.  But for that you need to
document the IPC between these colaborating applications.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't