Re: debugging objc difficulties, here: gdl2

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: debugging objc difficulties, here: gdl2
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:37:02 -0800 (PST)

You should be able to build and install debug and regular
versions of the Base and GUI libraries coexisting.  Then
a GNUstep make debug=yes, in my experience (with one app)
links against _d, and w/o debug=yes links against the
non-_d libraries.

Also, if you build an app w/debug=yes and there are no
_d core libraries available, it should still be possible
to get reasonable source correspondence from gdb when
you are in your own code.  I've also had success just
doing the linking step for the app manually (against
_d or not as desired).

I can't contradict the other comment that none of
this works in the case of frameworks, though I really
don't see what the issue would be here.

My experiences are all with gcc 3.3 and gdb 6.1.
Note that -O options can throw off gdb, and even
without -O I generally experience some inconsistency,
in that the stack traces for some bugs can be completely
wrong, with little or no correspondence to reality.
This might or might not be gdb's fault (could be stack
corruption).

Anyway, no real suggestions for your case but at least
you have an idea of the theoretically possible.  ;-)