Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Patrik Weiskircher
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:31:08 +0100

>>> I totally agree -- the look of the widgets and dock is very dated,
>>> and
>>> they all feel very "large". I think this is one of the things that
>>> the
>>> design team needs to determine specs for and then work on
>>> implementing
>>> a default modern look.
>>
>> The "dock" in most environments where GNUstep apps are run is actually
>> provided by WindowMaker in the majority of cases. WindowMaker does not
>> support alpha-channel background images (the gray square that the icon
>> itself sits over) and I wish it did, because it would free us to have
>> much more modern-looking dock.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>

> Is it possible to or is anyone interested in creating a new dock app to
> achieve the effects we want? I don't know how WindowMaker is
> structured,
> or how difficult it would be to do something like that (but I can
> assume
> if it was easy, it probably would have already been done).
>
> At the very least, do we know if we can change the square block
> background
> to something else, like maybe a slightly rounded rectangle? Perhaps
> something similar to the windows in this theme:
>
> http://www.roard.com/screenshots/screenshot_theme30.png
>
> Can WindowMaker be structured (or is it already structured) to take
> advantage of the anti-aliasing and transparency that libart provides?

I'm not sure that I understand you correctly.
The only thing in the screenshot, which WindowMaker provides, are the
  rectangles on the right/bottom side of the screen, AFAIK.

> As another direction (and maybe this is going too far or me being more
> of
> a designer than a programmer), but would it be possible to do PNG/JPG
> mockups of what we'd like to see as the future direction of the GUI
> (per
> the competition I mentioned earlier), pull the best features and ideas,
> and use that as the template for building the components we would need?

I don't know if its possible, I just want to say that I'm more of a
programmer than a designer,
and as I said in an earlier mail, if some people want a better looking
GNUStep, I can try to help.

Patrik