Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: GUI without X11 / Artist Help
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:50:37 +0100

Hey,

On Saturday, February 12, 2005, at 01:28 AM, Uli Kusterer wrote:

 While most of GNUstep looks large enough for me (from an aesthetic
point of view), tabs are actually too small. There's just not enough
margin, especially in the tabs themselves. If you look at a good book,
or a good magazine, you'll notice that there's always some empty space
around things to make it more easy to e.g. read text. That's what
GNUstep is still missing, IMHO.

I like its compactness and find tabs one of the "biggest" controls in aqua.

on the other hand, it is almost impossible to accomodate 800x600 screens like my ibook, to 1152 or 1280 screens and more with one size. I wouldn't "bother" at the current state of gnustep. I think "resizeable" widgets should come one day. But I have nevr seen an OS do it right. MacOS is one extreme: all controls, menu bars are of a fixed size. WIndows on the other hand makes several think resizeable. But the effect IMHO is sooooo bad that I would ignore the issue right now.

 Also, it'd be good to have some fixed metrics for certain kinds of
buttons, i.e. to encourage a uniform look between apps. Take MacOS X:
When a window has a margin between its contents and the window border,
it's usually 12 pixels, space between items that sit next to the other
is usually around 6, etc. Such simple measures can already make
everything look much more consistent. Same with icon sizes and toolbar
buttons. They should have certain standardized sizes to make apps look
more similar.

InterfaceBuilder here gives many hooks and places controls of the correct size and eases the spacing among them. Gorm is nto so advanced here. For example when moving more than one control or resizing a window, I get no guidelines, so it often happens to compact controls and borders too much...

-R