Re: Look and Feel

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:58:52 +0000

On 13 Feb 2005, at 11:56, Randi Joseph wrote:
As far as good ideas/decisions go, maintaining the right scrollbar and the main menubar was smart. I think they should have offered nextstep users an option, but thats not apple's tendency.

I believe that if the left handed scrollbar was easy to get accustomed to, steve would have left it that way.

the users that GNUSTEP is trying to woo is no diffent from the apple crowd. they will balk.

I see two problems with that argument ...

1. if you extend it to its logical conclusion, it says we should develop an ms-windows clone because that's what most people are used to. IMO that way lies the path of mediocrity.

2. it assumes our prime objective is to retain a conservative, existing customer base who are used to a particular interface, when in fact we want to target people who are interested in changing away from their existing system to something better.

Of course, as I said earlier, we want them option of other interfaces available, but we want our default to be the *best* rather than the most familiar.