Re: Look and Feel

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:29:04 +0100

At 15:15 Uhr +0000 13.02.2005, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I do find it convincing enough to say we should have options to customise
things (themes) at the behavior layer as well as pure appearance.
While I have no desire for an ms-windows theme myself, I strongly believe
that the system should allow others to build such themes if they wish, and
would support the inclusion of a them engine and a variety of themes as
part of the gnustep core.

The problem with certain advanced degrees of theme-ability is that it can make it very hard for application developers to provide a consistent user interface if each one of them is using a theme that behaves differently. While algorithmic consistency from the code's side is possible, themeing can really become a hindrance when help files and documentation describe certain UI elements and your users can't recognize them in their theme.

Still, a certain degree of customizability is a good thing, and I think a good theme engine should be flexible enough to implement a simple GUI like, say, the Atari ST's just as well as a graphically fancy one like MacOS X. Similarly, making sure things stay flexible enough to have both a top-menu-bar, window-local menu bars or palettized main menus are definitely of benefit to the theme engine.

On the other hand, do you really want a Windows theme, or a Mac theme? I don't think so. If it looks like Windows but behaves like GNUstep, it will confuse users more than it'll help. If a third party wants to create a Windows GUI, sure, they can do that, but I think that the defaults that ship with GNUstep should be similar enough to recognize one based on pictures of the other.

The theme engine will be there, so if users want to shoot themselves in the foot by installing "Mahogany black woodwork with blue LEDs", don't stop them (heck, they may be advanced users who know enough to actually cope with the new UI). But provide sensible defaults and make it clear what the recommended "official party line" is. That way, even beginners or end-users who aren't programmers and geeks like all of us here will have a consistent, usable experience.
--
Cheers,
M. Uli Kusterer