Re: Look and Feel

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:10:13 -0800

Michael Thaler wrote:
On Monday 14 February 2005 14:47, you wrote:

I don't think GNUstep should clone Aqua, not at all. But GNUstep could follow some of the ideas of the MacOS UI (not the style, ideas related to usability). Or GNUstep could follow some ideas from GNOME or KDE. Reinventing everything doesn't always make sense and the current Nextstep UI is also not perfect and can certainly be enhanced.

It's NOT "just for the sake of distinctiveness". Read the damn UI guidelines and you'll actually understand why. They're posted at http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/OpenStepUserInterfaceGuidelines.pdf and you clearly have some very poorly informed opinions regarding why certain things are done certain way. I'm not going to waste my breath explaining them here, when they're far more eloquently and clearly explained in the UIG document I posted above.

Also, can you please tell me several *SPECIFIC* ideas from GNOME or KDE which are original to GNOME or KDE (IE which did not come from somewhere else)? And then can you whittle that tiny list down to the things you think we should actually consider implementing? ;-)