Re: Re: Look and Feel

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:54:22 +0700

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:09:44 +0000, jhclouse@charter.net
<jhclouse@charter.net> wrote:
> Personally, I think you should at least *think about* changing the default
> look when Jesse finishes his theme.  You could then have a Camaelon theme for
> the old NeXT look.  People who want the NeXT look can use it.  Everything
> distributed to the public at large will have Jesse's look.

A default theme shouldn't be too advance because 1) the drawing
code will be more complicate and slower (in the sense that curve
already take more cpu time) and 2) won't look best on every backend
such as xlib unless you use pixmap which waste more memory.

> Look at it this way: the convenience factor should go to the largest number
> of people.  The general computing public contains vast numbers of people,
> almost all of whom will want the new look.  The GNUstep community itself
> consists of a handful of people who like the NeXT look.

In the third world countries like one I am living. Most of us don't
have much money to get the best hardware. I myself still have
to use this $200 pc while my salary when I still have a job was around
$300. So no, I don't want to waste any penny for any new incredible
cool looking desktop but rather application usability. *sob* *sob*

> On the numbers, the default look should be modernized with the minority who
> like NeXT doing a *little bit* of work (preferably, Camaelon should become
> part of the GNUstep distribution itself).

It should look good on every backend and have small memory
footprint and not spending the whole day of my CPU time
for tesselating all those sexy curves.