Re: Look and Feel

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:25:04 +0100

--- Jesse Ross <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:
Is is possible to set up some kind of poll somewhere where we can vote on whether or not the switch the GNUstep default theme? I'm not saying that my UI design has to be the final -- I just want to make sure we get the conversation about "keep it or ditch it" resolved in a democratic fashion.

No. The default look won't be "ditched". Again, there is one (1) GNUstep look, based on OPENSTEP; anything else is an externally provided theme.

That said, the default look is not set in stone. OPENSTEP isn't perfect, it's just a very good start. :) Suggestions for improvements _are_ welcome (preferably as patches, to make it easier to test and decide whether it's good or not). However, suggestions for the default look really should be obviously and clearly better than what we currently have; otherwise, there'll just be another flamewar.

(Vertical vs. horizontal menus and left/right scrollbar have been discussed before, at length. Unless some amazing new argument turns up, I won't consider changing this (and if you do think you have an amazing new argument, please verify this by reading all the old flamewars in the mailing list archives :).)

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
[snip]
2) GNUstep also has a theme engine called Camaelon.

To clarify, there is a theme engine _for_ GNUstep called Camaelon; it isn't provided _by_ GNUstep. There are also various other "theme bundles", also not provided by GNUstep; e.g. I have a couple that help you debug apps.

- Alexander Malmberg