Re: Look and Feel

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:41:59 +0000

On 2005-02-17 13:48:15 -0500 M. Uli Kusterer <Witness.of.TeachText@gmx.net> wrote:

        "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."
Is that about right, Jason?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to get across. Some people will install packaged versions of GNUstep and there's a hope that distro packagers will install Camaelon with it. But those who simply download the tarball will still see a large grey slab. A lot of people are turned off by that.

Frankly, it doesn't matter much. The important point is it's *possible* to change the look; then, we should have screenshots showing that fact proeminently on the website, and have the livecd let the user change easily the UI if he wants to.

If somebody download gnustep *by hand*, install it, and see the NeXT look, he won't be scared: he would know that it's possible to change it.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke