Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:49:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:
> On 2005-04-30 08:05:03 +0100 Sheldon Gill
> <sheldon@westnet.net.au> wrote:
>

> > Secondly, I'd like the docs to clearly state the
> source for
> > functions/methods
> > as OpenStep, MacOS (differentiate puma, jaguar,
> panther and tiger) or GS
> > (version).
>
> The current documentation does that for
> Openstep/MacOS/GNUstep ... so
> extending the mechanism to differentiate between
> individual MacOS and
> GNUstep releases should be fairly simple ... it's
> just that it would take a
> lot of time to review methods to find which release
> each belongs to.  I
> guess we could extend the existing
> STRICT_OPENSTEP/STRICT_MACOS_X
> classification, but I think it might be better to
> add gnustep and openstep
> versioning as separate defines or as markup in the
> comments.  The advantage
> of using defines and using #ifdef/#ifndef/#if
> defined()  is that people can
> then easily check that their code does not use
> features which are not
> present in a particular version, however it's a bit
> more cumbersome to deal
> with.
>
> > That said, doing so for everything is a big
> undertaking. To achieve this
> > someone will have to research the calls. I'd be
> happy to baseline now so
> > that
> > calls are OpenStep, MacOS (panther) or GS current.
>
> We already have that ... are you saying you would
> review/check that all
> methods are in the correct grouping?   I think that
> would be great (there
> are almost certain to be some misclssifications) ...
> but if you are happy to
> review each method in the API, you could make the
> classification more finely
> grained (to release versions) if you like.

here is something i hacked up a while ago, wasn't
going to release it as it's fairly gross code wise...

anyhow its a bunch of tools,
methodlists generates either a apple.plist or
gnustep.plist

which contains all the classes found at runtime and
their class and instance methods

merge merges an apple and gnustep.plist into one...
and the rest do some sort of html output from the
merged plist...

although it actually works a bit strange..

for example on one platform we have,

@interface objectone : NSObject
- (void) foo {}
@end
@implementation objecttwo : objectone
- (void) foo {}
@end

on the another platform we have:

@interface objectone : NSObject
- (void) foo {}
@end

@implementation objecttwo : objectone
@end

it'll mention that one platforms objectTwo implements
-foo and the other doesn't.

anyhow, if someone wants to use this or clean it up or
whatever maybe it'll help...

matt