Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:37:00 +0200

Alex Perez wrote:

> I think whether or not a class was introduced in OPENSTEP 4.0, 4.1, or
> 4.2, at this point, is completely irrelevant, and I personally am not
> going to research this. Besides, we work off the OpenStep specification,
> not anything else, when it comes to the original API documentation. For
> the newer apple-added stuff, we just need to note which version of OS X
> the API was introduced, as well as which version of of GNUstep it was
> implemented in.

Hello Alex,

I appreciate that you are not be interested in doing this research and
that you won't volunteer to add this documentation, this is absolutely
reasonable.  But in the case of corporate installations that are still
running large applications based on these versions, it can be very
important during the migration phase to be able to write code that works
with both GNUstep and the old API.  Please don't declare it as
irrelevant just because you don't have a use for it.

Personally I only have use for WebObjects 4.5 (which added some tweaks
which are not strictly OPENSTEP 4.2, but using OPENSTEP 4.2 as a common
ground has been very useful).  But I can very well imagine that there
are good uses for other OPENSTEP API.

Now I'm not saying that I think it is our duty to supply all this
versioning mechanism, but that if easily done and maintained, that such
a framework that allows contributors to support the older API selection
would be very useful.

Cheers,
David