Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GNUstep Coding Standard Additions
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 01:09:07 -0400

This is a repost to the gnu.gnustep.discuss newsgroup, because gnu.org is
dropping my mailing list postings on the floor with an "Invalid address in
message header" error.

Alex Perez wrote:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

[snip]

> > So, for each class/method, we need to know which version of MacOS-X it
> > was introduced at, or whether it is from the original OpenStep spec.
> > I think, for simplicity, we might categorize methods/classes
> > introduced by NeXT/OPENSTEP after the OpenStep specification was
> > published as being 'MacOS-X' methods.
>
> Yes, this is essentially what Sheldon and I also thought would be the
> right thing to do, so it seems we're all in agreement on this point.

These statements are too simplistic; OPENSTEP did make extensions to
OpenStep, but also added things to (and removed things, like NSHelpPanel
from) OpenStep. The AppKit and Foundation release notes for 4.2, as well as
the 4.2 docs, tell which is which.

The proprietary things that NeXT added, like NSFileManager etc. could be
considered "Mac OS X" stuff. But not the things that are part of the
OpenStep specifications as amended by OPENSTEP 4.x.

[snip]