Re: Two issues about filesystem layout

From: Jim Balhoff
Subject: Re: Two issues about filesystem layout
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:29:17 -0500

On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering what .../share/config.site is/was supposed to be as I
can't find any reference in any of the installed scripts or binaries.
Is this file (and directory) really needed for "running" GNUstep?

Secondly, I installed Pixen (pretty nice, btw) and noticed that it
creates and uses GNUSTEP_USER/Library/Application Support/Pixen

However, the recently added directory to hold files for application
support is named GNUSTEP_SYSTEM/Library/ApplicationSupport/ (without a
space). Since there is some effort in porting applications from OSX to
GNUstep, I guess the OSX variant should be used.

In Mac OS X 10.4, Apple added some useful constants to the NSSearchPathDirectory enumeration: NSApplicationSupportDirectory, NSDesktopDirectory, and NSCachesDirectory. Applications using the function NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains() shouldn't care how the name of the application support folder is spelled. Maybe GNUstep could support NSApplicationSupportDirectory (I see there is already GSApplicationSupportDirectory)

Jim