Re: GNUstep live CD (Was: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos )

From: Gürkan Sengün
Subject: Re: GNUstep live CD (Was: FOSDEM: GNUstep booth demos )
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:32:26 +0100

On 2007-01-29 21:22:35 +0100 Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/28/07, Stefan Bidigaray <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/28/07, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Having a live CD is great, it shows that GNUstep is actually working.
>>> But handing out a live CD with problems may give a very bad picture for
>>> GNUstep. Perhaps we could do a beta for the live CD, comment on it and
>>> try to have a final version ready for FOSDEM?
>>
>> I think that would be a good idea!  I haven't tried the latest version of
>> the distro, but if it has as many critical problems as you say I don't think
>> it would be prudent to distribute it saying "Hey, look what we can do".

It's 1.0 because I think it's pretty much polished and works quite well.
I don't think there's many critical problems anymore since the change
from morphix to debian live-package.

> yes :)
>
>> I don't know who's the maintainer of the live CD, but I've been meaning to
>> post this for a while now...  If you need any help building it let me know.
>> I have some (emphasis on "some") experience with building packages, creating
>> live CDs, etc and would be glad to help out... and in the process learn some
>> more.

if i can help? how i build it is described in the makefile at
gnu.ethz.ch/gnustep/

> The GNUSTEP live cd was made by gurkan. It would be great to move
> things forward...
> I'm not sure what are his plans ?
> I had a quick look at morphix, and it looks fairly nice to make
> something quickly. The problem is the time -- something I'm really
> lacking currently :-)
> I wouldn't mind creating an étoilé live cd for the fosdem with a little help.

my plans are simple (as always), wait for new gnustep tarball release,
bug hubert to update the debian packages. update all other gnustep software,
build the new live cd, fix bugs.

(and i'd love a NetHack.app port, and sound samples in gnustep, and better
gorm icons and a WEB BROWSAH (with the scrollbars on the left))

cheers,
gürkan