Re: GNUstep for Engineers

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: GNUstep for Engineers
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:56:57 +0100

Am 11.03.2007 um 19:20 schrieb Stefan Bidigaray:

Anyway, the idea I had was to transfer this program into ObjC and turn it into a library; [...] The project itself is still in the very early planning stages at this point,

Looking at all those FEA frameworks available already, I don't know wether it is a good idea to start yet another one almost from scratch. Big part of the usefulness of FEA code is it's proven reliability and projects like CalculiX, code_aster, OpenCFD, Gerris, Elmer, ... are more advanced regarding this. Have a look at www.caelinux.com and it's forum for a more complete list.

Second important point with FEA software is it's capability to import geometry from standard formats like IGES or STEP and to calculate meshes on this geometry. Salome, using OpenCascade, is pretty good at this and if it's a measure, it comes along with an installed size of no less than 600 MB. Gmsh is a lot smaller, still it has some ten years of development and testing behind it.

That said, I agree with the idea of using GNUstep as an engineer's development platform. Obj-C is easy to learn and a lot more robust than other popular languages like Fortran or C++. In fact, I did a few steps towards joining GNUstep, Etoile and the contents of CAELinux already, but that's a huuuge task. Dozens of code bundles to download, build and install in a useable manner. I started with Ubuntu Edgy, if that matters.

my $0.02
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/